Friday, October 25, 2019

Scotts Bluff National Monument: South Bluff Hike

With a blue sky and warm October temperatures, today seemed like a good day to explore South Bluff in Scotts Bluff National Monument. South Bluff is the one area in the monument where you are allowed to hike up a bluff formation off of a maintained trail. I parked my car at the visitor center parking lot, crossed the Old Oregon Trail, passed Sentinel Rock,
and started to make my way towards and up the steep hillside to the west side of Crown Rock. As I climbed the views of Mitchell Pass got better and better.
When I had finally crested the ridge just below Crown Rock, the views of Dome Rock were amazing.

I made my way west on the bluff to a large flat area. I traversed the prairie there,
  and found my way to a natural overlook that faced towards the south.

I ate a snack at this "south overlook", then made my way across the bluff to another area looking west across the Wildcat Hills.
I admired the view form that spot also,
then started to make my way down off of South Bluff. The views towards Saddle Rock were pretty great.
I even found a marker that marked the location of the Oregon and California Trails.
Then it was a short walk across the road to my car. It was a great way to spend a beautiful fall day.

No comments: