Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Cedar Canyon Wildlife Management Area: Southern Trail

There is snow in the forecast, and quite a bit of it. I decided I needed to get out for a hike before the melting snow makes for a sloppy mess out on the trail over the next week or so. I figured a quick jaunt over to Cedar Canyon again would be a good choice. I made the short drive over there and hit the road that Noelle, Sierra and I had hiked the previous 2 weekends with lots of great bluff scenery.
After the point where the road descends into the first canyon, I took the road that leads off to the left and would follow that for the rest of my hike.

The road meandered a bit after the split. As I dropped down into a second canyon, there was a trickle of water flowing through it.
I then climbed out of the canyon. The scenery to the north continued to be spectacular.
While I didn't see any bighorn sheep this time, I did see some hawks, turkeys, and turkey vultures. The turkeys were too far away to get decent photos of, but I was able to capture some of their tracks in the dirt.
Soon the road led to an unexpected site. It was an old oil well.
I spent a few minutes checking out the relics of the industrial past,
then continued on with more wonderful views.
The road seemed to end at this sign.
Nearby was a clearing with a livestock tank.
I explored the area a bit, but didn't find anything remarkable, so I turned around for the walk back to the car.
As I walked, I noticed a low rocky ridge and decided to climb it for a view. I wasn't disappointed!
I stopped to admire the view for a bit,
then started to make my way back to the car.

No comments: