Friday, January 21, 2022

Medicine Bow National Forest: Skiing the Happy Jack Trails

This morning I awoke to a weird slick, slushy, slippery mess. After taking Rosie for her morning walk, I hit the road. I was headed southwest through Cheyenne to the Happy Jack Recreation Area. It was a pretty slick drive down to Kimball. However, Interstate 80 was mostly clear. That is, until I started to climb up the Gangplank west of Cheyenne when blowing snow made the road surface slick. I was relieved to exit the Interstate at the Summit Rest Area where I used the restroom. Then, I made the short drive over to Happy Jack.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of snow for most of the drive. It wasn't until I was within about 5 miles that there seemed to be enough consistent snow coverage for skiing. 


Another shock was the nearly full parking lot. It seems a senior group from Laramie was there for a snowshoe hike. After a few minutes of prep, I hit the trail. I am definitely out of ski shape! 


I ended up skiing the Meadow Trail to Phil's Pholly to the Tie City Loop where I started to make my way back west towards the trailhead. 


On the way back I skied the Ridge and Alder Trails 


back to the campground at the trailhead. It wasn't a particularly long ski, but I am really out of shape and felt like I got a good workout. Really nice job by the Medicine Bow Nordic Association maintaining the trails, though there was not a set classical track. I think this was due to a high school race later in the day. 

No comments: