Sunday, February 27, 2022

Cottonwood Draw Falls

I was hoping to get the family out for a snowshoe hike in the Tie City area of Medicine Bow National Forest. Unfortunately, Noelle wasn't feeling well today and Sierra didn't want to go for a hike, so I went for a solo hike to Cottonwood Draw Falls which is located in a Wildlife Habitat Management Area near the Grayrocks Reservoir which is south of Guernsey, Wyoming.

It was an interesting drive to the trailhead. I took the road past Fort Laramie National Historic Site and eventually to the trailhead near the shoreline of the frozen reservoir. There was a really nice view of Laramie Peak at the start of the hike.


I started the hike following a closed, gravel road.


The road paralleled the namesake draw through open sagebrush prairie.


After a while the road ended and I followed a trail. Eventually the trail ended and I was forced to follow the draw by walking across icy sections of stream and hopping conglomerate boulders. 


It was slow going at times, and occasionally I found myself doing some route finding in the cedar trees that lined the stream. At one point I found a fairly large piece of skeleton; most likely from a cow. 


 It probably took about 45 minutes to travel a short 1/2 mile while climbing over downed trees and trying to avoid slipping on snow-covered boulders into the cold stream. Finally, I could see a wonderland of icicles up ahead. A sure sign of the falls.



I spent about a half hour admiring the frozen waterfall. I regret not bringing my microspikes, as the traction they provide would have allowed me to explore the icy slopes and icy caves. Finally, I turned around to make my way back to the car. I had a better idea of the best route for the way back and seemed to make much better time. The views looking downstream were splendid.


In no time at all, I was back to the car for the drive into Guernsey and back home. 

No comments: