Friday, July 1, 2022

Red Mountain Open Space: Grand Loop Hike

I wanted to get out for a longer hike today. Originally, I had planned to head out to either Crosier Mountain in the Roosevelt National Forest or Deer Mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park. I decided not to drive so far though and opted to head to the Red Mountain Open Space on the border of Wyoming and Colorado and managed by Larimer County. 

It was an uneventful drive and I arrived to an empty parking lot. I have hiked Red Mountain before, having completed a loop along the Ruby Wash, Cheyenne Rim, and Sinking Sun Trails. Today, I would be hiking the rest of the trails in the Open Space in what I am calling the Grand Loop.

I hit the trail in cool, morning temperatures. The green vegetation, red rock, and blue sky all contrasted nicely.


I followed the Bent Rock Trail along a small stream with a view into an interesting little canyon.


At the first trail junction, I took the outer portion of the Bent Rock Loop, since I had not followed that during my last outing. 

There were decent views and a few wildflowers in bloom.



The next portion of the hike followed the K Lynn Cameron Trail. This trail climbed a ridge up to some wonderful views down in the valley below.




Eventually, the trail began its decent into a small canyon with small stream flowing through it.



This led to the short Stone Circle Trail where there are some tipi rings.


 There were also a couple of old cabins.



The cabins were used by shepherds and cowboys working for the Warren Livestock Company.

Shortly after passing the cabins, the K Lynn Cameron Trail looped over to the Ruby Wash Trail. I would follow that trail back to this point towards the end of my hike. For now, I headed straight across on the Big Hole Wash Trail. This trail followed a wash over to the Salt Lick Trail. Along the way I found a few flakes of chert.


The final new portion of the hike saw me following the Salt Lick Trail.


This trail climbed to a low ridge. Along the way there were plenty of views off in all directions.



After passing a large stock tank, 


I descended down into Ruby Wash for the start of my return to the parking lot. The beginning of my time in Ruby Wash was interesting, as the wash had eroded a small canyon.


Penstemon and blanket flower grew in clumps along the wash.



For the final part of my hike, I followed the Bent Rock Trail through a small but interesting canyon and back to the car.



I stopped in Wellington for a late lunch and a beer at Soul Squared Brewing. Then, it was the long drive back to Nebraska.





No comments: