Sunday, April 16, 2023

Guernsey State Park: Lakeview, Marsh Mountain, North Bluff Trails

 Noelle wasn't feeling well this morning and Sierra was still sleeping, recovering from her sleep over the previous night. I wanted to get out for a hike, since I hadn't been on one in a while. Since I would be going solo, it meant that I go opt for a longer route. I decided to make the drive out to Guernsey State Park and try a hike there. I had read that many of the trails at Guernsey State Park are difficult to follow, but with the AllTrails app on my phone, I figured I would be pretty safe finding my way around. I opted for a 7.5 mile long hike called the "North Bluff Trail" on AllTrails. It's an out-and-back hike. In reality, it actually follows three different trails: the Lakeview, Marsh Mountain and North Bluff Trails.

After getting fuel in Torrington, I made my way through the sleepy towns of Lingle and Fort Laramie before driving through Guernsey, across the North Platte River and into Guernsey State Park. I paid the $12 non-resident day use fee and made my way to the trailhead at Davis Bay. 


I parked and hit the trail, immediately ascending a short, steep hill.

After a short hike I found an old dump site that was littered with rusted tin cans. 


Could this be left over from one of the CCC camps in the park? As I ascended a bit higher, I caught my first view of the Guernsey Reservoir. 


A little further along, I caught my first of many views of the iconic Laramie Peak.


Much of the rock in the park is limestone. Parts of the trails traversed nearly flat limestone shelves that were pock-marked with calcite geodes.


More views of Laramie Peak opened up to the west.


Soon enough, I climbed up to the top of a high cliff overlooking the reservoir below. 



The cliffs, especially the one at Brimmer Point, are impressive and the view reminded me how badly I would like to get the canoe out on the reservoir in the canyon sections of the park.

After hiking the Marsh Mountain Trail, I found myself at the North Bluff Trail.


Again, the views across the lake were pretty spectacular. Soon, I found a sign for a trail that I wasn't expecting: the Echo Cliff Trail.


I decided to take it. The trail descended pretty steeply to a bench about 1/3 of the way down to the water. Soon enough, I found myself at some shallow shelter caves (labeled as Echo Cave) 


with views looking out across the canyon. 


After eating a snack and drinking some water at Echo Cave, I ascended back up to the top of the canyon and soon made my way to the Castle, a fancy picnic shelter built by the CCC.  



Noelle, Sierra and I had visited the Castle last summer when we found the waters of the North Platte River too swift to tube on. I stopped to check out the interesting structure again and also used the restroom in the "Million Dollar Biffy". Then I made my way to the end of the North Bluff Trail before turning around to retrace my way back to the trailhead. There were a few more views out across the lake.


On the way back I viewed a turkey vulture sunning itself on a tree branch,


and saw my first blooming flower of the spring: Hood's phlox!



No comments: