Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Roosevelt National Forest: Greyrock Mountain

This is a hike I've been wanting to do for a while now. Unfortunately, the Cameron Peak Fire has pushed back this hike, until today. This morning I made the drive down into Colorado and onto Highway 14 along the Cache la Poudre River to the Greyrock Mountain Trailhead. I crossed the river 


on a footbridge and hit the trail 


with some light haze from wildfire smoke. 

The scenery was beautiful. 


I found a short trail that led to a memorial marker.

The last of 2020s wildflowers were in bloom; rabbitbrush and aster.


At the junction of the Meadow and Summit Trails, I opted to take the Summit Trail for the ascent.


As I ascended, views of the surrounding mountains started to open up around me.


I took a short break on a rock and shortly thereafter, caught my first view of Greyrock Mountain.


I would get plenty more views of this distinctive mountain over the course of the next few miles.


Soon, the smooth gravel trail ended and I would scramble the rest of the way up to the summit. 

The views continued to be excellent, if hazy from the Cameron Peak Fire.



Soon enough, I found myself at the summit. Surprisingly, I had it all to myself. I took a photo there,

rested a bit, and then started back down.

For the descent, I took the Greyrock Meadow Trail.

The views on this trail were often spectacular, especially when I looked back to Greyrock Mountain. 



It was not all downhill though, as there was quite a bit of unexpected ascent on the trail. Still, the wonderful scenery made up for the ascents.



No comments: