Friday, September 18, 2020

Oglala National Grassland: Roundtop Peak

 After my ascent of Eagle Eye Rock, I made a short drive over to Toadstool Park and the start of my hike up Roundtop Peak. Toadstool Park and it's badlands formations was interesting as always, 


though I didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Instead I made my way on the Great Plains Trail through a short portion of it.

Even outside of Toadstool Park proper, there were plenty of badlands to walk through.


And where there are badlands, there are fossils to be found.

I made my way along the Great Plains Trail to a two-track road, 

where I made a left and crossed the grasslands. There were intermittent views out to more badlands 

and a group of scared cows.

After a short walk on the road, I headed off on the trail that leads to the Hudson-Meng Bison Bone Bed. I followed that trail for a bit and then headed cross country towards my objective for the hike: Roundtop Peak.
At its base, I climbed up the grassy slopes to the highest point, where I took a photo.

Then, I descended to a section of the road I had hiked earlier. I passed old storage tanks (for oil, maybe?) 

and followed the road back to the Bison Trail. 


Then I descended the Bison Trail back to Toadstool Park and the car. 

No comments: