Saturday, April 17, 2021

Red Mountain Open Space: Ruby Wash, Cheyenne Rim Loop

 Sierra had a Girl Scouts activity today. That gave me a chance to go for a long hike for the first time in a while. With some snow over the course of the last 2 days, I had to be sure that wherever I went did not have too much snow. After checking Colorado snowfall totals, I decided to go to Red Mountain Open Space on the Wyoming border to hike an 11 mile loop on the Ruby Wash/Cheyenne Rim Loop. This trail would take me through not only Red Mountain Open Space land, but also into the City of Cheyenne's Big Hole Open Space (I would make my way north into Wyoming) and the City of Fort Collins Soapstone Prairie Natural Area. 

It was an uneventful drive south into Colorado. The last 7 miles of drive were very interesting, traversing some unexpected red rock country. I arrived at the trailhead to see only one other car. I used the restroom, gathered my pack and hit the trail. 


Almost immediately, the trail paralleled a small stream and entered into a small red rock canyon.


The contrast of the bright red rock and the brilliant blue sky was pretty amazing.



Eventually I emerged from the canyon,


and entered into a meadow area at a trail junction.



As I traversed the meadow area, I noticed another red rock canyon off to the west of the trail. Unfortunately, it is marked as off limits. 


The trail continued to climb gently. Soon it entered into Ruby Wash and followed the bed of the dry wash for a few miles.


A look back to where I had come revealed a nice view of an interesting looking mountain; Table Mountain I believe.


Ruby Wash entered into another canyon,

and continued to climb higher into some scattered pines.

When I turned onto the Cheyenne Rim Trail, the trail started to climb more steeply and I soon entered into Wyoming at a downed sign marking the boundary of Red Mountain Open Space.

Soon the trail alternated between extremely sticky, yet slippery mud and snow. 

The mud would stick to my boots and get thicker and heavier until it would eventually break off. It was a bit annoying. 

I reached the top of the ridge and the views really opened up. I stopped for a photo at an overlook 

and the continued on. Unfortunately, drifted snow and wind made for less than optimal hiking conditions.

Finally the trail started to descend back down into the canyons. What a colorful canyon I hiked through on the Big Hole Wash Trail!


Soon enough, Table Mountain came back into view and I knew I was just about back at the car. 

This was a great hike. I really enjoyed the colorful, red rock. I think a hike a little later in the spring might be a bit more enjoyable, as the ridge section was windy, snowy and cold. Also, I could see evidence that the early wildflowers will soon be in bloom. I was just a few weeks early to see them. 


No comments: