Monday, March 4, 2024

Golden Gate National Recreation Area: Golden Gate Bridge

Today starts my week in San Francisco participating in the Public Lands Alliance Convention and Trade Show. I arrived in town yesterday, after flights from Scottsbluff and Denver and a train trip on BART from the airport to my hotel in Union Square. This morning a field trip set off to explore the famous Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point National Historic Site, and the relatively new Presidio Tunnel Tops. 

First stop was the iconic bridge. 


We had some time to walk around the bridge area and explore.



I even walked about a quarter of the way across the bridge, 


with great views looking back to downtown San Francisco. 

I was a little afraid of walking too far on the bridge and not making the bus for our next stop, and so I opted to explore a little bit more of the area in the vicinity of the Welcome Center. Just about everywhere I looked, there were great views of the bridge and bay. Especially down near a somewhat forgotten picnic area and Battery East.




Wildlife sightings included lots of gulls, some hummingbirds, and a banana slug!


After coming from a place where it is still winter, it was nice to see all the flowers in bloom!


After our short visit at the bridge, it was time to move on to Fort Point National Historic Site, just a short drive away.


No comments: