Saturday, March 23, 2024

Prairie Ridge Natural Area

After picking up my boots at Rogers Shoe Repair, I headed to the area between Fort Collins and Loveland to hike at the Prairie Ridge Natural Area. I had never been to this area before, though I've been to the nearby Coyote Ridge Natural Area a few times.

Like the hike at Coyote Ridge, the trail starts down in the plains and immediately heads west towards the foothills. 



 Unlike the trail at Coyote Ridge, this one never climbs up to the ridge, it basically reaches the base of the ridge where you reach an intersection. Here you can head north or south parallelling the ridge. 


I hiked both directions. There were lots of prairie dogs to admire.



I hiked north into Coyote Ridge Natural Area first,


then headed south on a spur that passed agricultural lands


before reaching an abrupt dead end. 


This abrupt dead end makes me wonder if there are plans to extend the trail further south at some point. It was a nice hike, but not the most interesting one in the Fort Collins area. 

After my hike, I headed into Fort Collins for a beer at Maxline Brewery, a pleasant brewery I had not yet been to. 



No comments: