Thursday, August 31, 2023

1st and 2nd Flatirons

After Sierra left for school this morning, I hit the road headed for Arvada to meet my friend Steve for our planned climb of Mount Bierstadt tomorrow. On the way, however, I figured I would do a little warm up with a hike in the Flatirons of Boulder. 

Because I had arrived around 11 a.m., the morning hikers were finished with their jaunts. That meant I was able to find a parking spot in the Chatauqua Park lot fairly easily. I parked and immediately admired the view.


Like all the trails in the Flatirons, the trail was pretty steep right from the start. I climbed up a familiar section of trail to the junction with the trail up to the 1st and 2nd Flatirons. The trail, while short, was quite steep. There were a lot of views out over the City of Boulder, especially from the sections of trail that traversed boulder fields. 




I even caught a view of the distant 3rd Flatiron. 


At the top of the trail, I caught a glimpse of the high peaks to the west.


There was also a nice view of the top section of the 1st Flatiron. 


After a short time admiring the view there, I started to make my way back to the trailhead. 


Once back to the car, I made my way to Upslope Brewing for lunch, then into Arvada to meet my friend. 

No comments: