Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I took the train down into Center City Philadelphia this morning to walk around town and check out the sites. My first stop was the Independence visitor center where I picked up a ticket for the Todd/Bishop White House Tours. Then I walked towards the Delaware River to cross the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.
Philadelphia's Skyline from the Ben Franklin Bridge
The walk across the bridge was quite pleasant and offered many great views of the Philadelphia skyline.
Ben Franklin Bridge and Boats
When I got to the other side of the bridge I walked around Camden, New Jersey a bit and then walked back across the bridge and returned to Philly.

Once back in the City of Brotherly Love I walked down Elfreth's Alley.

I then headed down Second Street to Christ Church with some interesting burials right inside the church.

Then it was on past City Tavern and the Merchant's Exchange before checking out another old church St. Joseph's.

By this time I was pretty hungry and so I ate lunch at Cosi, and then walked up to Christ Church Burial Ground in which Ben Franklin is buried amongst other notables.

After visiting the burial ground it was time for my tour of the Todd and White homes. They were interesting and showed how people of different socio-economic classes lived around the time of the American Revolution. After the tour it was time for some beer. I walked over to Penn's Landing and up Columbus Boulevard to Yard's Brewery. I tried a sampler of some really good beers before walking to Suburban Station for the train ride home.  

No comments: