Monday, July 16, 2012

Santa Fe National Forest: Deception, Lake, and Penitente Peaks

After my visit to La Cieneguilla Petroglyphs I stopped by the Public Lands Information Center to pick up a map for the Pecos Wilderness and some other information. Since it was still relatively early in the day I decided to head up into the mountains. It was a little bit after 11 am when I hit the trail.

I followed the Winsor Trail up to the wilderness boundary and then headed off the official trail, following a social trail along a fence up Ravens Ridge. I then followed the ridge line up to Deception Peak. From there it was an exposed, knife-edge hike over to Lake Peak.
There were some good views over to Santa Fe Baldy
and down to Nambe Lake which Noelle, Parker, and I had hiked to nearly 2 months ago.
When I reached the top I rested on the summit of Lake Peak for a while before moving on again to make my way over to my final summit for the day: Penitente Peak.
I rested on the summit for a while and even dozed off for a bit before I could hear the sound of thunder rumbling in the distance.
The thunder was a warning to start my descent. I had some rain and small hail to contend with on my way down, but things never got too bad. Along the course of my hike I was treated to some amazing views,
lots of wildflowers,

and even some wildlife.

No comments: