Monday, May 7, 2018

Superior National Forest: Norway Trail

With a forecast of warm temperatures and clear skies, I set off for another hike along the Echo Trail in the Superior National Forest. Today my destination would be the Norway Trail, just east of my last hike at Astrid Lake.

I pulled up to the north trailhead of the Norway Trail and hit the trail, immediately crossing a small stream on a wooden bridge. Next came a long section of climbing over and through blown down trees and shrubs that almost constantly blocked the trail.
I considered giving up on my hike due to all the blowdowns, but instead persevered and continued making slow progress south.
Many of the trees have catkins on them now and dealing with the blow downs at least gave me an opportunity to observe them up close.
Just like last week's hike, there was a lot of evidence of moose along the trail. There were piles of scat pellets here and there,
and even a tree scraped of its outer bark.




Eventually the blow downs seemed to become less numerous and thus the hiking became easier. I crossed a stream on a beaver dam and made my way through a wetland.

Most sections of the trail seemed very well built. Perhaps the Norway Trail dates back to the CCC-era?
The trail joined a lightly-traveled forest road for a section (with a sign pointing to a helipad)
and then headed into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. I was hoping for a beautiful view at the end of the trail at the North Arm of Trout Lake. It ended up not being the most scenic spot. The lake was still partially iced-over, but a pair of loons swam and dove on the ice-free section.
The most beautiful spot on the trail ended up being a beaver pond a short bushwhack off of the trail.

I ate a snack at the edge of a partially-drained beaver pond
and then retraced my steps back to the road.
I would walk the road back to my car.
I just didn't want to deal with all the blow downs again. It was pretty easy walking on the road and there was even some nice scenery here and there.
Still, after 16 miles of walking and temperatures in the 80s, I was relieved when I made it back to the car for the drive back to International Falls.

No comments: