Monday, June 10, 2019

Superior Hiking Trail: Jay Cooke State Park Visitor Center to Wild Valley Road

For the start of today's hike, I didn't have far to go. I made the quick drive from my campsite over to the River Inn Visitor Center and hit the trail by immediately crossing the swinging bridge
over the St. Louis River.

Once on the other side of the river, I followed the combination Silver Creek/Hiking Club/Superior Hiking Trail.
Parts of the trail, which mostly traversed a wide grassy tread, were quite muddy.
Eventually I found myself at an area where the Superior Hiking Trail left the ski trails and headed into the woods on a singletrack, dirt path. There were a few areas of views overlooking the St. Louis River valley.
Another view looked out to a train trestle.

Soon enough I had made it to the Highway and Wild Valley Road.
I took a short snack break in the sun (there weren't as many bugs there) and then turned around for the return trip. I saw a few slugs and snails along the way.
For a little variety, I decided to hike the part of the Silver Creek Loop I had missed earlier and was treated to a display of yellow lady's slippers.
Then I was back at the car to take camp down and run some errands in Duluth.

No comments: