Saturday, October 26, 2019

Scotts Bluff National Monument: Along the North Platte River

I've been pretty busy lately in my quest to find a home for Noelle, Sierra and myself. I'm currently living in a temporary efficiency apartment that is not nearly big enough for the three of us and all our stuff. Still, I decided I needed to get out for at least a short walk and so this morning I headed over to the section of the monument between the Union Pacific railroad tracks and the North Platte River.

To get to the start of the hike, I drove down Owl Road. I parked at the gate and the monument boundary
and walked in. There are some pretty big cottonwood trees along the river, and some great views of Scotts Bluff.
Soon enough, there was a small bridge crossing a canal. I decided to see what was on the other side. I found a small section of eroded badland formations that looked nice in the early morning sunlight.
As I explored, I found some railroad spikes,
crystals,
and some bones.
One was a large bone eroding out of the hillside.
Maybe a bison bone?

As I approached the train tracks, I was treated to an amazing view of Scotts Bluff!
After admiring the view I headed back across the canal and then walked the rest of the canal road within the monument. It ended at a dam on the North Platte River.
From there I retraced the road, back to my car.

No comments: