Thursday, August 5, 2010

St. Croix National Scenic Riverway: Interstate State Park to Osceola

From Franconia Sculpture Park I headed north into Minnesota's Interstate State Park to the canoe landing. There I rented a kayak for a trip on the beautiful St. Croix River. When I put in I first headed upstream and into part of the Dalles where tall granite cliffs tower over the river. Then I headed downstream, letting the slow current aid me in my paddling.
Kayaks on the St. Croix
At first the river was closely paralleled by highways. The sound of vehicle traffic was not all that calming. Soon, however, the road veered away and the only sounds were those of moving water, paddle strokes and the laughter and conversation of the other kayakers and canoeists. It was an awesome experience on the river, and I enjoyed a day that could only have been made better by Noelle's presence.

No comments: