Thursday, July 10, 2014

Frontenac State Park

After my hike of Barn Bluff, I went to a grocery store in Red Wing to get some lunch. The Cuban ham sandwich I ended up getting was very good. Then it was a drive south to Frontenac State Park to get me some Hiking Club miles. Today would be my first Hiking Club hike in nearly 3 years.

The hike started at the picnic area with a nice view of Lake Pepin.
Then the trail headed into some woods and followed an old trail through an old quarry area. The trail left the wooded area and followed ski trails through mostly grassy areas.
There were some wildflowers in bloom along the trail,
but I was most pleased to see aspen trees!
The trail led to a few overlooks, including one where I found my Hiking Club password.
I then followed the trail signs to near my starting point.

When I approached the picnic area, I still felt the urge to explore a bit and so I set off on a trail that led towards the campground. I then descended steeply to the wooded shore of Lake Pepin where I caught glimpses of power boats speeding by.
I followed a trail close to the water and then ascended to In-Yan-Teopa, an impressive limestone arch.
From the arch I made my way back to the picnic area for the drive back to Galesville, stopping at a historic site located within the state park.

No comments: