Sunday, February 1, 2015

Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Plemmons Cemetery

After my hike to Ramsey Cascades I just wasn't feeling up to a hike up the porter's Creek Trail. Instead I opted to follow the old road with the chain across it to see where it led. I parked got out of the car and started walking on the road. I figured that it must lead to an old cemetery and it turned out I was right. The road leads to the Plemmons Cemetery, one of the largest inside the boundary of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. On the way there I passed the foundation of a large building which once stood along the road, supposedly the remains of the Greenbrier School.
foundation pillars
more pillars

Shortly after leaving the school ruins I entered the cemetery,
Plemmons panoramic
one of the most interesting ones I've been to. I like the old hand-carved headstones
old grave
ES Jarrett grave
twin graves
Pate grave
Davis Rafield
Cantrell
Preston Whaley
with their quaint misspellings,
Whaley
backwards "S"'s, 
John Pate grave
and use of mountain language: words like "borned".
mayes grave
There were also two really interesting graves of soldiers. One was of a soldier who fought in the American Revolution,
Bohannon Grave
the other a soldier who fought in the War of 1812.
Whaley 1812
After exploring for a while I followed a trail out of the back of the cemetery which led to an old road. I made a right onto the old road and followed it back to the area where I had parked my car, passing a few home foundations along the way.
P1060815

No comments: