Sunday, February 1, 2015

Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Plemmons Cemetery

After my hike to Ramsey Cascades I just wasn't feeling up to a hike up the Porter's Creek Trail. Instead I opted to follow the old road with the chain across it to see where it led. I parked, got out of the car and started walking on the road. I figured that it must lead to an old cemetery and it turned out I was right. The road leads to the Plemmons Cemetery, one of the largest inside the boundary of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. On the way there I passed the foundation of a large building which once stood along the road, supposedly the remains of the Greenbrier School.

Shortly after leaving the school ruins I entered the cemetery,
one of the most interesting ones I've been to. I like the old hand-carved headstones
with their quaint misspellings,
backwards "S"'s, and use of mountain language: words like "borned".
There were also two really interesting graves of soldiers. One was of a soldier who fought in the American Revolution,
the other a soldier who fought in the War of 1812.
After exploring for a while I followed a trail out of the back of the cemetery which led to an old road. I made a right onto the old road and followed it back to the area where I had parked my car, passing a few home foundations along the way.

No comments: