Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Exploring Fort Frances, Ontario

Since Noelle and I got our NEXUS cards about a month ago, we've had the chance to make it across the Rainy River to explore International Falls' sister town of Fort Frances, Ontario a few times. Today I decided to head back over there to walk a loop that included La Verendrye Parkway and Scott Street, the main drag through town. It was chilly, windy and overcast. Still the walk along the parkway was pleasant and I got to see some of the sights that Fort Frances is known for, including the Hallet Logging Tugboat
and the Lookout Tower.
I enjoyed reading all the interpretive plaques that have been posted along the trail.
With all the picnic shelters, it would be a very pleasant place to return in the summer.
There's even a metal sculpture of the famous Rainy Lake Mermaid.

I made my way east to Point Park. Noelle, Sierra and I had visited this site with Noelle's mom and our friends Jeff and Tish. There are a bunch of monuments in the park including monuments to the Pither family,
La Verendrye,
and a monument marking the site of Fort St. Pierre.
There is also a "big chair" where Noelle, Sierra and I had our photo taken back in September.
Finally, there is a great view of the lift bridge that carries railroad traffic across the Rainy River International Boundary
from the United States into Canada.

After a short time at Point Park I made my way through some neighborhoods to Scott Street. The portions of Scott Street close to the international border are designated as the "Great Canadian Main Street".
There are lots of shops and restaurants including the delicious Flint House where Noelle, Sierra and I ate a week ago. I slowly made my way back to the bridge across the border, past the Fort Frances Visitor Center where in September we had posed with the taxidermy moose.

No comments: