Thursday, September 28, 2017

Superior National Forest: Herriman Lake Trail

Little Vermillion Lake and Dovre Lake Loop

I've been wanting to go for a longer hike for a while now, and today was finally my chance. I made the drive down to Crane Lake and over to the trailhead for the Herriman Lake Trails. Today I would hike the remaining sections of trail that I had not hiked here yet.

I hit the trail which was wet as I had expected. I made quick time along the section of trail I had hiked in my previous visits to the area and soon enough I had crossed over the Echo River on the sturdy footbridge there. The trail crossed near to a beaver pond
and then I soon passed two guys who had spent the night at Knute Lake. Soon after I crossed into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
and headed in to the campsite at Knute Lake to take a break and eat a snack. Knute Lake is a very pleasant spot. I wouldn't mind spending a night there at some point.

Shortly after leaving Knute Lake I found the trail the leads to Little Vermillion Lake. It ascended to a rocky ridge where the trail was marked with cairns.
Colorful mushrooms
and maple leaves decorated the trail here and there.
There were even a few wildflowers in bloom,
including a seemingly confused bunchberry.
Soon I found myself at Little Vermillion Lake.
Despite its name, it is a fairly large lake. There is a nice beach there that I think would make a good place to swim in warm weather.

After some time relaxing on a rock at Little Vermillion Lake, it was time to move on. I backtracked to the junction with the Dovre Lake Trail
and made my way north. This section of trail seems to see lighter traffic than other sections of the Herriman Lake System. There were lots of green clubmosses along the footpath.
I passed a few glacial erratics along the trail
and a few beaver ponds as well.

Soon I found myself at the pretty Dovre Lake.
It was convenient timing given that I had to use the bathroom.
As nice as the view was, it did not look like a good place to camp as there is not really a flat place to set up a tent. I relaxed near the fire pit and ate a snack and then made my way back to the car. It had been a nice hike, and best of all I did not get rained on.

No comments: