Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Hayden Park: Green Mountain Trail

As I was walking back to my hotel from the day's training session, I noticed a grassy-looking peak rising above my hotel. I figured right then and there I would have to see if I could hike that peak. A quick search on my phone indicated that the peak is called Green Mountain and that it is located on Jefferson County open space lands. I went back to my room, changed, filled my water bottles and set out. It was a pretty long walk along Alameda Parkway, past fast food restaurants and suburban sprawl to the entrance
and parking lot for the Green Mountain Trail. I started to make my ascent.
The trail climbed and climbed
with lots of views down to the plains, sprawl and the skyscrapers of downtown Denver in the distance.
I noticed a few wildflowers
and yucca plants as I made my ascent. Soon enough I passed a communications tower and then made my way along a wide gravel road on a relatively flat plateau.
I found the actual summit and then made my way to a little, unofficial overlook where I relaxed and enjoyed the view.
I couldn't spend too much time relaxing though. The sun would be setting soon. I enjoyed watching the sun set behind the mountains
 and the clouds turn various shades of pink and orange as I made my way down the mountain.

Then it was a long slog back along Alameda Parkway back to the hotel in the dark. I made a side trip for some food before my return. It was a great way to spend an evening away from the family and I even got in a little workout.

No comments: