Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Gravel ride the Rifle Sight Pass Route

 It was forecast to be hot today, but I wanted to get out and do something. I opted to take the bike out for a spin and explore the local area by starting from home and heading to Rifle Sight Pass. 

I started my ride by crossing Five Rocks Road and following County Road P past the Five Rocks Amphitheater and up past the southern boundary of Scotts Bluff National Monument with nice views of Dome Rock.

After descending on a loose gravel section of road, I made a right turn onto Robidoux Road where I would spend a majority of the first half of the ride. At an old, faded sign for the Gering Valley Flood Control Project

I turned right onto Rifle Site Pass Road and began a steady climb on loose gravel. 


At the pass I began my descent and admired the surrounding formations.

The ride down to Highway 92 went fast, as it was all downhill. I had nice views of Scotts Bluff as I traveled the shoulder of the busy highway. A train rumbled west, ready to pick up a load of coal.

I stopped at the Fort Mitchell site.

I rested in the meager shade cast by one of the stone monuments.


 Then, I crossed the North Platte River,

where I caught a glimpse of a pair of osprey on a nesting platform.


From there I headed into Scottsbluff. 


Since I was out of water, I got a drink at the Western Travel Terminal before following the Monument Valley Pathway back through Terrytown and into Gering.

No comments: