Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Medicine Bow National Forest: Peakbagging Sugarloaf Mountain and Browns Peak

With more hot weather forecast for my days off, I decided I had to get out of town and into the mountains. I decided I would head to the Snowy Range to bag a few peaks that I hadn't been on before. 

I hit the road early this morning, passed through Cheyenne and then followed I-80 west, following the route of the Old Lincoln Highway 


past Tree Rock 


and the highest point on Interstate 80. 


Shortly thereafter, I headed up into the mountains. I arrived at the Sugarloaf Campground just in time to claim the last remaining site. Then, I hit the trail headed towards my first objective for the day, an ascent of Sugarloaf Mountain. 

I started my hike on the Medicine Bow Peak Trail and closely followed the southern shoreline of Lewis Lake.


 At times I could see my second objective for the day, Browns Peak.


There were lots of wildflowers in bloom along the trail, and some pollinators as well.


At a trail junction, 


I left the trail and set off cross country on my ascent of Sugarloaf.

As I approached the summit, the views got better and better!

Soon enough, I was standing on top of the summit proper. 

I relaxed for a bit at a stone shelter 


and looked north out to some lakes and Browns Peak.

When it was time to move on, I retraced my steps back to the Lewis Lake parking area and set out on the North Gap Lake Trail.

 I could look back at awesome views of Sugarloaf!

I ascended to South Gap Lake.


Then, I hiked up to the ridge separating South and North Gap Lakes. Here I started my off trail ascent. It was steep and rocky, but I could stop every now and then and enjoy the views of South Gap Lake and the surrounding area.

I finally reached the large, relatively flat summit plateau. I explored a bit and determined the highest point to be a spot marked by a tall cairn near the middle of the plateau. I found a place to rest for a bit, 


then started my descent. I spied a few marmots on my way down.

By the time I rejoined the trail, I was utterly exhausted. I found a nice grassy spot near a small, unnamed pond and dozed off in the sun. 

When I was ready to start moving again, it was a short, downhill hike 


back to my campsite at the Sugarloaf Campground.

No comments: