Friday, September 19, 2008

Pickett State Park: Hidden Passage Loop

Well today I got in my first long hike in a long time. I had planned to hike the Hidden Passage Loop trail which according to my guide book is just over 8 miles long. It was a great hike past arches,
pillararch
hiddenpassage
along cliffs, near waterfalls,
falls
and with some nice views. I made two side trips: to Double Falls
upperdoublefalls
ericdoublefalls
and an old railroad tunnel.
lookingouttunnel
It felt so good to be out on the trail again. After my Hidden Passage hike, I got in the car and drove to Cordell Hull State Historic Park near the Tennessee/Kentucky border.
cordellhull
There is a great, short hike to the interesting Bunkum Cave entrance there.
caveentrance
cavelookout
There are also some great artifacts associated with Cordell Hull (Secretary of State under F.D.R.) on display in the museum. A nice out-of-the-way place to visit.

No comments: