Friday, January 16, 2009

Red River Gorge Geologic Area: Cloudsplitter Arch

Today was supposed to have been my third day of student teaching. However, due to the unusually cold temperatures (it was -3F here in Lexington this morning) school was canceled.
crazy ice
I hadn't planned on doing anything today but then decided that it would be a perfect day for a hike in the Red River Gorge. Since it was a weekday and very cold outside I figured there would be few hikers there today. I was right. I hiked from the Sheltowee Trace suspension bridge parking lot along the Sheltowee Trace Trail. I explored some unknown off-trail ridge then headed over to Cloudsplitter.
It was my first time up Cloudsplitter which is pretty amazing since it I a very cool place and fairly easy to get to. The highlight of the hike was a squeeze through a long, narrow crack in the sandstone to get to Cloudsplitter Arch.
Cloudsplitter Arch
The squeeze was as close as we get to a slot canyon here in Kentucky. Once at the arch I spent quite a bit of time checking out the view and relaxing. I was surprised at how I really didn't feel cold the whole time I was outside. Luckily, it wasn't windy which would have made the cold far worse. After standing on top of Cloudsplitter itself. I retraced my route back to my car, then drove to Broke Leg Falls, a small county park. I wanted to see the falls with lots of ice and I was not disappointed!
Broke Leg Falls
What a cool site to see the frozen falls and icicles decorating the sandstone. it was well worth the trip.

1 comment:

Still Wandering said...

Dude, we need to see some frozen
H20 falls pictures!