Monday, November 2, 2009

Tettegouche State Park: Shovel Point/High Falls

I hadn't planned on going hiking today, but with beautiful blue skies beckoning outside I decided to go for a drive up MN 61 and check out a part of the North Shore I'd never been to before, Tettegouche State Park. Even though all the leaves are off the trees, the drive was beautiful and I saw a few bald eagles along the way.

I arrived at the State Park Visitor Center/Rest Area (kinda weird), and parked the car. Soon I was on the trail to Shovel Point and the hiking was slow going. Slow not because of tough terrain, but because there was just so much beautiful scenery to look at. I stopped at a rocky Lake Superior Beach and then headed over to Shovel Point where I ate my turkey sandwich lunch at one of the overlooks.
Shovel Point

From there I continued on the trail and made my way back to the parking lot.

I didn't get back into the car at the parking lot though. Instead I kept hiking up to Two-step Falls and High Falls.
Both impressive sights with the Baptism River swollen with water. I even found a great pair of sunglasses along the trail!
After the falls I headed further out to an overlook and then with snow starting to fall (it's amazing how quick the weather changes here) I decided to cut my intended hike short. Instead of heading to Mic Mac Lake I took a short cut and visited Nipisquit Lake instead before heading back to the car.

1 comment:

Still Wandering said...

Those shades are you man. Isn't the north shore wonderful? You guys just may get a visitor someday:)