Friday, June 18, 2010

Soudan Underground Mine State Park


A pretty interesting lightning storm passed through last night but I was able to stay dry and safe in my tent. This morning I packed up my wet tent and hit the road headed west to Soudan and the "Cadillac of Mines". What an interesting place! I got there a bit early and spent some time wandering around the surface of the park. I checked out the Engine House and Crusher house as well as the Headframe and trestle.


At 10am I went on my tour. I opted for the underground Mine Tour which began with an over 2,000 foot descent down into the cool, dark depths of the mine. Once we departed the cage, we rode a train to actual tour area. The tour was okay, but the mine itself was quite interesting.
Railroad Car and Trestle
Upon returning to the sunlight, I hiked the short 2.5 mile Hiking Club Trail. The trail passed by some more remnants of the mining industry. I went over the 50 mile mark in my Hiking Club book and was able to collect my second patch.

No comments: