Saturday, October 2, 2010

Holmen Square Runaround 5K

Yesterday Noelle, Parker and I drove to Galesville to visit with family. I got up early this morning so that Noelle, Parker and I could drive into the neighboring town of Holmen to run in the inaugural Homen Square Runaround 5K. There was a small field for the race, perhaps about 50 brave souls registered for the event and so I knew I would probably finish in the top 10. I was hoping to run about a 19 minute 5K which I thought was possible given my performance in the recent half marathon I had run. However, the morning was frosty and cold and I
seem to have a difficult time running in the cold.

The race started just after 9 am and after a long warm up I felt pretty good for the first mile which I ran in about six minutes. At the one mile mark I found myself in second place. The next mile did not go as quickly though. At mile marker two I checked my watch to see 12:28. Much slower. Anyway I held on to run a 19:13 5K, which is the fastest 5K I've run post-college. Unfortunately, I was unable to hold on to second place and finished third.  

No comments: