Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cherokee National Forest: Squibb Creek Falls

Despite the rain this morning, I felt I had to get outside and go for a hike. I decided to head back to the Horse Creek area and hike in the Sampson Mountain Wilderness where Sierra, Noelle, Parker and I had hiked the tough loop a few days back.

I made the drive to the recreation area, parked at the end of the paved road, and walked a small portion of the road that follows Horse Creek.
It was foggy and the fog and light rain seemed to give an air of somberness to the scene. Soon I crossed Horse Creek on a footbridge
and headed into the wilderness area.
I passed by the strange cabin seemingly located within the wilderness boundary.
I took a quick look inside and it appeared to be a comfortable place to spend a vacation. Then I crossed Squibb Creek which I would follow for the rest of my hike.
There were lots of pretty cascades on the creek
and a few wildflowers made their presence felt.
There were also lots of snails on the trail,
along with some red efts.
The hiking was rather easy. I wish I had planned this hike for when Noelle, Sierra and Parker were with me instead of the slog up Turkeypen Cove. Before I knew it I was at the falls.
The falls were pretty, but I am glad that I made the trek in a time of high water as it appears that the falls are not always flowing with much water. After eating a snack at the falls I retraced my trail back to the car. There were lots of butterflies on the rough road near the parking area.

No comments: