Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Fort Robinson State Park: Cheyenne Buttes via the Turtle Rock Trail

What a difference a week makes! Last week I was in Fort Robinson State Park sweating. This week I was bundled up against the cold with scattered snow on the ground. I returned to Fort Robinson to so another hike to one of the high points in the park, Cheyenne Buttes. I drove to the trailhead off of the scenic drive and parked among scattered horses. 

I started on the Turtle Rock Trail,

passed a horse lying on the grass, 

and started to climb up to the buttes on an overgrown dirt road.

The last of this summer's flowers still clung to their stems.

As I ascended, the views off to the hills and prairie below were impressive. 


Perhaps even more impressive were the views of the surrounding rock formations.

Soon enough I found myself at the top of a ridge where I took a side trail over to an area with a fenced-in overlook. I believe this is an area where the jeep tours that are offered most summers take their customers. I took a photo there 


and then moved on traversing the ridge. There were lots of great views off the ridge.




At one point I even spied a bird perched at the top of a rock outcropping. I believe it was a prairie falcon. 

Soon I descended off of the ridge and followed the trail back down to the road, not too far from where I had parked at the start of my hike. There were views back towards the direction I had come, including a view of what I assume is "Turtle Rock".

No comments: