Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Magoffin Home State Historic Site

After my hike up Bishop's Cap and lunch I headed towards downtown El Paso and the Magoffin Home State Historic Site.
I toured the interesting house and learned about the Magoffin family a bit. Coincidentally, the family has its American origins in Kentucky and indeed there is a Magoffin County, Kentucky. After my tour of the house and grounds
I decided to brave the wind and walk around downtown El Paso a bit, since I had never been there before. I was impressed by the interesting architecture, but sadly many of the buildings seemed empty. I ended my tour at San Jacinto Plaza which at one time housed alligators.
Today the alligators are memorialized with a fiberglass sculpture and there seems to be some talk about bringing the alligators back.

No comments: