Monday, January 21, 2013

Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge: Chupadera Peak

I woke up early this morning for a solo adventure. I left Noelle, Sierra, and Parker in the hotel room and headed down to the wildlife refuge again for a 9.5 mile hike up Chupadera Peak. I was in the refuge early enough to see some cranes and geese hanging out by the two ponds near the north entrance.
After watching the pink rays of the sun illuminate the mountains to the west, I decided it was time to move on to the trailhead and start my hike.

The hike began with a stroll through the shrubby desert lowlands. If it weren't for the many cairns the trail would have been easy to lose among the creosote bush.
Slowly, but surely I started to gain some elevation and then crossed under I-25 in a tunnel.
On the other side of the interstate I entered the Chupadera Wilderness and the ascent got a bit steeper.



Soon a canyon came into view and the trail turned in the canyon's direction.

The canyon turned out to be interesting and as the trail exited it, the climbing got a bit more difficult.
I steeply made my way up the mountain slopes, crossed a fence using a stile, and then stood on the mighty summit of Chupadera Peak.
There was a cold wind, but I found a sheltered area just of the summit and ate a snack and drank some water.
The views from the lofty perch was splendid. I admired it for a bit and then started to make my descent.
The climb had taken just over an hour and a half, the descent would go even more quickly. before I knew it I was back to my car.

No comments: