Sunday, May 19, 2019

Whiteshell Provincial Park: McGillivray Trail

After this morning's hike at Hunt Lake and a short break at the campground, I was ready to do some more hiking. I looked at the Whiteshell Provinical Park map that I obtained and found an interesting trail not too far from the campground: McGillivray Falls Trail.

I made the short drive to the trailhead.
It was pretty packed (it's the May Long Holiday in Canada) but I was able to find a place to park and quickly hit the trail.
Pretty quickly I arrived at the falls. They were not very impressive; more like a set of cascades.
However, the trail seemed to get more interesting after passing the falls. The stream that fed the falls meandered through a grassy meadow lined with evergreens.
There were a few wildflowers in bloom here and there.

Soon enough I met up with a pair of ladies and their dog Claire. I ended up hiking with the two ladies for the remainder of the hike. One was from Winnipeg, the other from Steinbach, Manitoba. Soon enough we arrived at the turn around point for the hike: McGillivray Lake.
We relaxed there and ate some snacks. Claire demanded my attention for a bit and I was happy to oblige.
Then it was a short hike back to the trailhead parking area and the drive back to my campsite.

After dinner tonight I decided to explore the campground area a bit. I noticed a trail that led up a hill near my campsite and found that it led to several beautiful, high overlooks of West Hawk Lake.
I admired the views for a bit
before returning to my tent and settling in for the evening.

No comments: