Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Obed Wild and Scenic River

obedriver
Today Noelle and I spent some time hiking the Point Trail at Obed Wild and Scenic River. When we got home today I spent some time calculating the number of National Park Service units that I've been to and estimate that Obed is my 163rd. Not too bad considering there are 388. I've been to more than one-third of the park units. As far as our experience there. Well, let's just say it's not the most impressive NPS site we've been to. We camped at the Rock Creek Campground there and it was by far the dirtiest NPS campground that we've been to. In addition, there's very little in the way of hiking there. The Point Trail, which we hiked,
obed3
is only 1.9 miles long and one of just a few short hikes in the area.


I guess the river is really known for whitewater. Unfortunately, the river is only navigable in the winter and early spring. We probably won't be headed back to Obed any time soon. 

No comments: