Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bernheim Arboretum: The Millenium Trail


When I woke up this morning I immediately turned on the television to check the weather. The radar map showed rain, and quite a bit of it heading right for Lexington. I had really wanted to go hiking today but decided that maybe today wasn't the best day for outdoor activities. After another half an hour of sitting on the couch thinking of things to do, I decided that I hadn't gone hiking in the rain in a pretty long time and that such a pursuit might actually be fun. I hastily packed up some water and snacks and headed west on the Bluegrass Parkway to Bernheim Arboretum to tackle the Millenium Trail, a 14 mile loop located in the forested parts of the arboretum. I had packed along my rain jacket and fully expected that I would have to use it, but instead I never got rained on. The air was so humid, however, that I got so sweat soaked it may as well have been raining.

I walked at a pretty good pace, took 3 short breaks and completed the loop in about 41/2 hours. It was the type of hike you take to walk in nature, not a hike where you can expect to see lots of spectacular scenery. Also good for some solitude, at least during the week. Although I did not expect to see anyone else during my hike I actually passed a fairly large family group. I guess, like me, the threat of rain just doesn't bother some people!

No comments: