Sunday, August 28, 2011

Osceola, Iowa to South Haven, Kansas

Eric Driving

I hit the road early this morning and quickly passed into Missouri. I stopped at the first rest area in Missouri and found it to be clean and pleasant. It was a prairie part of the state and the steel sculptures in the rest area played up the area’s prairie heritage. There were sculptures of bison and Native American hunters on horseback. 
Missouri Rest Area

Missouri Rest Area Rider


After the short break I headed south and soon found myself in Kansas City.
Kansas City Skyline

I had never spent much time in KC and was a bit intrigued. I crossed the Missouri River on I-35 and took the first exit on the other side. I found myself in a park that ran along the banks of the Mighty Mo.
Missouri River

The park was pleasant with nice views of the river and as I walked I found myself in an interesting neighborhood with old refurbished warehouses that have been converted to offices and lofts. I also found a nice market featuring lots of produce and food vendors. 
Kansas City Market



After perusing the market I made my way back to the car and then headed across Kansas City and into Kansas. It was becoming a hot day. I hopped on the Kansas Turnpike and made my way through Wichita. I finally stopped for the day on the Kansas side of the border with Oklahoma. I am staying at a Motel 6 in a little place with just the motel, a gas station, and a closed Mexican restaurant. Needless to say there’s not much to do around here. I went to the gas station to get some food, but the pizza there looked like it been under the heat lamps for days. Oh well, I guess I’ll just go hungry tonight. 

No comments: