Saturday, February 16, 2013

Coconino National Forest: Parsons Trail

After exploring Tuzigoot National Monument I headed out of the site and back towards Cottonwood. However, just before I came to the Verde River I turned onto a road, Sycamore Canyon Road, for the drive to Sycamore Canyon and the Parsons Trail. The road got increasingly rougher the farther along I drove and ended at the trailhead parking area and a nice overlook of Sycamore Canyon.
I quickly readied my pack for the hike in the canyon and hit the trail.

The hike began with a steep descent to the canyon bottom where there were lots of deciduous trees, including the canyon's namesake Arizona sycamores. I followed a stream up the canyon eventually coming to a gushing spring called Summers Spring.
From Summers Spring I followed the trail up the canyon through some wonderful scenery.
Soon the canyon walls closed in a bit and it was evident that a majority of the rock walls were made of limestone. There were lots of small cave entrances and rockshelters.
Even one of the sycamore trees I passed on the trail was cave-like in appearance.

Eventually I found myself at Parsons Spring, the headwaters of the creek that flows through Sycamore Canyon.
Above the spring the canyon is just a dry wash , filled with river cobbles.
I ate a snack there and then turned around to head back. The scenery on the return was just as beautiful as on the trip up the canyon.
I took a few minutes to climb up to what appeared to be a cave high above the canyon floor. It turned out to not be as impressive as I had imagined, but it offered a great view of the canyon.
Parts of the trail were routed on a natural limestone ledge above the clear waters of the creek.
Eventually I returned to a deep pool of water I had admired on the hike in. There is a large stone monolith that rises high above the creek and the deep red of the rock made for an interesting contrast with the blue of the water.
I admired the deep pool for a bit and then headed further down canyon.
I soon returned to the final ascent that led back to the parking area and was treated to great views to the last step of this hike.
The hike along the Parsons Trail was certainly interesting. If you ever find yourself in central Arizona I would recommend checking it out. It also seems like there would be some great swimming holes to sample on a hot summer day.

No comments: