Friday, February 15, 2013

Dead Horse Ranch State Park

After my hike in Boynton canyon and a delicious lunch at Oak Creek Brewing I decided to get out of Sedona and head south. I got in the car and drove to Cottonwood, Arizona and Dead Horse Ranch State Park. I got a campsite in the tent section of the campground, set up camp, and then set out to explore. just near the campground is an old cabin.
It has a barbed wire fence around it, but there is no sign or information about it.

From the campground I set off on a trail that led me to the Tavasci Marsh Trail. There was a good view of the Verde River and my destination for tomorrow, Tuzigoot National Monument, from near the start of the trail.
As I traveled further along I got into some reeds and cattails
and then found myself at Tavasci Marsh proper.
There were not as many birds in the marsh as I had expected, but as I hiked around the area of the marsh I did see a hawk perched in a tree.
I followed the mostly unmarked trails around and soon found myself at the Verde River.
From this point I retraced my steps to the campground just in time before the sun set.

No comments: