Monday, February 4, 2013

Red Rock Park in Gallup, New Mexico

Woke up in my hotel room in Gallup this morning and checked out after some breakfast. I immediately headed over to Red Rock Park. Apparently, this place was once a state park, but was taken over by the city of Gallup a few years back. I quickly found the trail-head for Pyramid Rock and hit the trail.
It was cold this morning, but as the sun rose I started to warm up. The trail immediately climbed up onto the red rock and made its way towards Pyramid Rock.
There were some interesting sites along the way including lots of views towards nearby buttes,
Church Rock and a few Chimney Rocks.

Soon enough I made my way up to the summit. The view was spectacular.
After a few minutes of relaxing and taking a self-portrait, I began to descend. I faint trail that I had passed earlier caught my eye again and I decided I had to take it. It led in the direction of Church Rock.

Again there were lots of great views, especially towards Church Rock
and back to Pyramid Rock.
As I approached the rock the trail became less defined. Offshoots headed in different directions. I wandered around for a bit and finally found a good path that headed down into a drainage below Church Rock. Soon I was back on an official trail, this time the Church Rock Trail.
I made my way farther and farther down, eventually finding myself in a parking lot.

From the parking lot I followed a road to the Pyramid Rock parking area and my car. Red Rock Park turned out to be a worthwhile excursion. If you ever find yourself in Gallup, New Mexico; I would definitely pay the park a visit.

No comments: