Monday, February 4, 2013

Homolovi State Park

After my wonderful hike at Red Rock Park this morning, I hit the road and headed west into Arizona. I stopped and got lunch at Safeway in Winslow and then headed over to the nearby Homolovi State Park. I stopped at the visitor center and paid the admission fee and then set out to explore. Just outside of the visitor center was a wonderful view of the surrounding landscape
and also a recently constructed "ruin" that had been intentionally burned to study the effects of fire on pueblo sites.

From the visitor center I headed first to the expansive Homolovi II Ruins.
The first thing I noticed was the amount of pottery littering the ground. It was literally everywhere.

Previous visitors had collected some of the more impressive pieces into small galleries.
I spent about an hour looking at the ruins and examining the pottery sherds before moving on.

From Homolovi II I headed south to a short trail leading to some petroglyphs.
The glyphs were difficult to make out but at least one was fairly easy to see.
After hiking the short trail I headed over to the Homolovi I site
which is located on the banks of the Little Colorado River.
Again there were interesting ruins and walls and lots of pottery.
From Homolovi I I left the park and headed further west to Flagstaff where I got an early dinner at the Flagstaff Brewing Company. Then it was on to the Grand Canyon for the start of my training tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing, it is very informative.