Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Superior Hiking Trail: Jay Cooke to Fond du Lac Parks



Yesterday I walked to the office of Visit Duluth to see if I could find a map of the Duluth section of the Superior Hiking Trail. Sure enough they had one and I decided I would make it a goal to hike the entire length of the Duluth section before the snow starts to fall at the end of October. And so today I found myself driving to the far western end of Duluth to hike the southwestern most section of the trail. I parked at Fond du Lac Park and started hiking up the Mission Creek Trail to the Superior Trail. From there I headed west through a forest of birches, aspen, and pines. It was drizzly but a great day to be on the trail.



When I got to Jay Cooke State Park I took a short side trip on the Grand Portage Trail to see a part of the St. Louis River. I stopped on a rock at the bank of the river where I ate a snack and then retraced my steps back to my car. I also learned that the terminous of the trail has now moved further southwest to at least the park office of Jay Cooke.

No comments: