Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Superior Hiking Trail: Spirit Mountain to Kingsbury Creek

I spent almost all day today working on a job application for a job as an environmental educator outside of Duluth. After heading to the post office to mail the application and registering my car at the DMV (I now have Minnesota plates on my car!) I finally was able to hit the trail.

I started my hike near the Lake Superior Zoo and traveled along the beautiful Kingsbury Creek. Water in the creek cascaded over boulders and bare rock and the banks of the creek were lined with aspens and birches in their wonderful golden leaves.
Before long I was near the top of a ridge and from there the trail paralleled Interstate 35. I was worried that hiking so close to the interstate would detract from my trail experience. While there was some noise from the highway, I was largely able to forget I was in the city due to the wonderful scenery. Early October in northeastern Minnesota is wonderful! Cool temperatures and fall colors make hiking easy.



I hiked through some grassy areas covered by large trees and the lighting was spectacular. While I had originally intended to hike all the way to Magney-Snively Park where I had started and ended my previous SHT hike, I knew I would not have time. Instead I hiked to the spur trail which led to Spirit Mountain and then retraced my steps. i think I'll bring Parker with me tomorrow to hike the section I skipped.

1 comment:

Still Wandering said...

That's awesome! Great shots. Way to go on the MN plates - now you can add KY to your wall and keep them there:)