Friday, October 16, 2009

The Superior Hiking Trail: Rose Garden to Bagley Overlook





I knew that today's hike was going to be an urban hike and so I dressed accordingly. Instead of my normal zip-off pants, hiking shoes, and synthetic gear I wore jeans, cotton, and sneakers. I wasn't expecting too much from this hike other than a walk through a bunch of neighborhoods, but I was pleasantly surprised. Let's just say that Duluth's Chester Park is amazing. It has to be one of the best, if not the best, urban park I've ever been in. The SHT closely follows Chester Creek through the park with non-stop views of cascades and waterfalls. There is even a short section where the creek flows through a short, but deep gorge.

From Chester Park I made my way back into a a neighborhood and then the UMD campus. I finally made it back into the woods at the University's Bagley Preserve. Inside the preserve is a nice little overlook. I made the overlook my turn-around for this hike and then made my way back to Chester Park where I hiked the trail on the other side of the creek. Another great day on the trail!

No comments: