Saturday, June 22, 2013

Andrew Johnson's Birthplace in Raleigh, North Carolina

Working at Andrew Johnson National Historic Site has given me a much deeper appreciation for the 17th President of the United States. While I don't find Andrew Johnson to be my favorite president or even one of our most effective Commanders in Chief, he is an interesting historical figure. That's why when I realized we would be driving through Raleigh on our way to the Outer Banks, I knew we just had to stop to see the home of his birth.

Despite the fact that the home is no longer in its original location it was still interesting to see.
We drove in dark clouds all the way from Greensboro to Raleigh, but it wasn't until the moment we arrived at Mordecai Park that the sky opened up and the rain started to fall. Still we took a short walk over to the simple home before getting back on the road to Rocky Mount.

No comments: